How can you run a successful landscape business?
TLC’s 2014 Landscapers of the Year, Michael and Andrea Mueller, share their tips to success — from projects to employees.
[youtube -uAidwE6RV8 nolink]
5 Tips to the Muellers’ Success
- Focus on what customers want. “Go inside of their home, and see what the inside’s like,” Andrea says. “Do your design reflective on their styles and tastes – not just something you always do. Listen to them, and then throw in your expertise and creativity to make it a one-of-a-kind project.”
- Keep good employees. “When we hire somebody, we make a commitment that they’re going to work for us year round,” Michael says. “Their families have to eat throughout the year – this isn’t just part-time stuff.”
- Have fun. “You have to love what you do,” Michael says.
- Don’t reach too far. “Know your limitations,” he says. “Don’t get in debt if you don’t have to. If you can’t afford a new truck this year, don’t buy it – wait until next year. That’s where a lot of companies make a mistake.”
- Don’t be afraid to do new things. “When Michael suggested we offer hardscaping, I thought he was crazy,” Andrea says. “Now, that’s the bulk of what we do.”