Small differences matter when it comes to designing a competitive and productive zero-turn lawn mower. So when Ferris engineers drew up the company’s new 2000Z model, they placed an emphasis on a premium ride, a rugged chassis and a host of engine options to allow landscapers to fine-tune the machine to meet their specific job requirements.
You can spec the 2000Z with no less than four gasoline engines, with horsepower ratings ranging from 25 horsepower to 30 horsepower. A two-stage, industrial-strength air cleaning system ensures a consistent supply of clean air to the engine, regardless of whether you opt for Kawasaki, Kohler or Briggs & Stratton power. Ferris has also fitted the 2000Z with its patented four-point suspension system, top-mounted hydraulic cooling fans and a top speed of 10 mph, which allows this mower to cut up to 5.1 acres in an hour’s time.
Total Landscape Care asked Fred DeLoach, owner of DeLoach Lawn Services, to test the new model and report back to us. Our demo mower featured a 61-inch cutting deck and a 30-horsepower Briggs & Stratton Vanguard engine. The mower arrived in the middle of an early summer drought, and spent an inordinate amount of time working in extremely dry and dusty field conditions.
“When I get off this mower at the end of the day, I don’t feel like I’ve been working,” Deloach reports. “My back doesn’t hurt because the suspension system and the entire mower package is so well designed it’s almost like riding in a car when I’m on it.”
Deloach says the demo 2000Z’s extra power and wide deck allowed him to cut the time it generally takes several mowing jobs in half. The precision hydraulics makes close-quarter cutting work easy, and despite the hot weather, the Ferris never overheated. “The mower never bogged down, no matter how thick the grass got,” he reports. “We’ve got one customer with an extremely large field that normally takes us an hour to cut, but I knocked it out with the Ferris mower in 25 minutes. So there’s no doubt it’s a productive machine.”
KKK Ferris 2000Z Quick Specs
- 30-hp B&S Vanguard Big Block V-Twin engine
- 27-hp Kohler Command V-Twin engine
- 26-hp Kawasaki V-Twin liquid-cooled engine
- 25-hp Kawasaki V-Twin engine
Mower deck details:
- Available in 52- or 61-inch cutting widths
- Cutting height: 1.5 inches to 6 inches, adjusts in /-inch increments.
- Features greaseable aluminum spindles
- Patented four-wheel suspension system
- Twin 6-gallon fuel tanks (12-gallons total)
- Two-stage industrial air cleaner
- Fans mounted on top of hydro pumps
- Easy access oil drain for ease of maintenance
- Ergonomic control panels with cup-holder, storage compartment and fuel gauges
- Optional deluxe high back seat with added lumbar support
- Folding Roll Over Protection System (ROPS) with retractable seat belt
- Heavy-duty integrated rear bumper for engine compartment protection