Products

Porsche Engineering Group Finds STIHL BR 600 More Fuel Efficient Than Competitors. Saves up to $644 in fuel costs – per unit in just two years, compared to other brands

A study conducted by the Porsche Engineering Group GmbH found that the STIHL BR 600 backpack blower is up to 28% more fuel efficient than competitive models, which can provide up to $644 in fuel savings per unit in two seasons, depending on fuel costs and run time. The STIHL BR 600 is also the cleanest running backpack blower in its class based upon information currently reported on the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Web site, exceeding current EPA emission standards by 73%. 

  

“It’s exciting to have the fuel efficiency of our backpack blower validated by an internationally respected company such as Porsche.” said Adam Hanks, product manager for STIHL Inc. “We are proud of our equipment’s design and manufacture, and to have it backed up by a brand known for engine performance is really rewarding.” 

  

The STIHL dedication to developing powerful, fuel-efficient products using production practices that are environmentally responsible has resulted in its product line featuring some of the cleanest running and most fuel-efficient handheld outdoor power equipment available today.  

  

The Porsche study tested backpack blowers at wide open throttle 85% of the time and at idle for the remaining 15%. All the units tested were the U.S. versions, the same as available in stores, and all units were set to their respective manufacturer specifications during testing. 

  

“Our priority at STIHL is the development of products that provide the best in power and performance, but are also fuel efficient and environmentally responsible,” said John Foster, manager of product compliance at STIHL Inc. “These results showcase the dedication we put into the products on every level.” 

  

The STIHL BR 600 led the competitors’ models in the Porsche study, ranking the highest in fuel savings. The STIHL BR 550, STIHL’s value-priced backpack blower, was also tested in the Porsche study, and was found to be 16% more fuel efficient than the BR 600. In a separate comparison based on specifications from each manufacturer and not associated with the Porsche study, the BR 600 also was ranked as the lightest weight model and the most powerful in air volume in its class.  

 

When compared to the results for the following models, the STIHL BR 600 offers a substantial fuel savings (all figures are per unit): 

  

To learn more about STIHL products and the results of the Porsche Engineering Group GmbH test commissioned by STIHL, visit www.stihlusa.com/BR600. For more information on EPA reporting, visit www.epa.org. 

  

 (Estimated dollar savings based on Premium gasoline at $3.951/gallon (www.fuelgaugereport.comas of 9/04/08); 1240 hours of run time (2 seasons). Weight and air volume comparisons were based upon specifications from manufacturers’ Web sites and catalogs. RedMax® published data is without tubes. STIHL, Shindaiwa® and Echo® weights are with tubes. Air volume measured with tubes. Air velocity for all machines is between 199 and 204 mph). 

  

About STIHL Inc.
STIHL Inc. manufactures the world’s largest selling brand of chain saws and produces a full line of powerful, lightweight, and versatile handheld outdoor power equipment for homeowners and professional users. STIHL products are sold through servicing power equipment retailers from coast to coast- not mass merchants. STIHL products sold through U.S. STIHL dealers are for distribution in the United States only. For more information or for the name of the closest STIHL retailer call toll free 1-800-GO STIHL (1-800-467-8445) or visit the STIHL Web site at www.stihlusa.com.
 

 

STIHL Inc. sponsors the SPEC MIX BRICKLAYER 500®, the largest bricklaying competition in the world. In this event, the best masons in the world compete in twenty, two-man teams, building a specified 26-foot, double-wythe, masonry brick wall in just 60 minutes.  

  

For information on job opportunities with STIHL Inc., please go to www.stihlcareers.com. STIHL is an EEO and drug-free work environment

The Attachments Idea Book
Landscapers use a variety of attachments for doing everything from snow removal to jobsite cleanup, and regardless of how often they are used, every landscaper has a favorite attachment.
Download
Attachments Idea Book Cover