Project EverGreen, Turfgrass Producers International and Houston Habitat for Humanity joined forces to install lawns and landscapes at five new homes in Houston’s Harrell Park subdivision.
TPI members Advanced Equipment Sales, Brouwer Kesmac, FireFly Equipment, Northwest Tillers, Progressive Turf Equipment, Redexim North America, Trebro Manufacturing and Trimax Mowing Systems contributed to the purchase of nearly 22,000 square feet of harvested sod from Houston-area sod farm All Seasons Turf Grass.
Project EverGreen and the Brickman Group provided the landscape materials and labor for the installation, with assistance from Habitat for Humanity volunteers. In addition to turf, the project included more than 75 ornamental plants and trees at the five houses.
The total value of the in-kind donations of sod and plant materials totaled nearly $7,000. The installation included oak trees and an assortment of azaleas, boxwoods, gardenias and ferns, as well as mulch, creating landscape beds to complement the new turf.
“Project EverGreen is proud to partner with TPI and Houston Habitat for Humanity to bring managed green spaces to these new homes and neighborhoods,” said Cindy Code, executive director of Project EverGreen. “Lawns, landscapes and plants turn houses into homes and neighborhoods into communities. The end result is safer, healthier and more connected communities.”
According to Project EverGreen, a significant body of research shows the presence of well-maintained green spaces in communities offers numerous social, economic and lifestyle benefits. Some of the benefits include:
- Trees, shrubs and turf remove smoke, dust and other pollutants from the air. One tree can remove 26 pounds of carbon dioxide annually.
- Natural grass recharges and filters groundwater supply and reduces storm water runoff
- Not only does your lawn release oxygen and absorb carbon dioxide, it lowers temperatures caused by soil and hard surfaces. Lawns can be 31 degrees cooler than asphalt and 20 degrees cooler than bare soil.
- Green spaces improve mental functioning and physical well-being. In fact, residents of areas with the highest levels of greenery were 40 percent less likely to be overweight or obese compared to those living in less green space.
- The proper placement of just three trees around a home reduces interior house temperatures, allow air conditioning units to run more efficiently and offer homeowners $100 to $250 in savings annually.
- Smart Money magazine indicated that consumers value a landscaped home up 11 percent higher than its base price.
Melanie Stanton, executive director of Turfgrass Producers International, said TPI was “pleased to have an opportunity to work with these two respected organizations and to be able to give back to the Houston community, which will be hosting the TPI 2016 International Education Conference & Field Day.”