The Department of Environment and Natural Resources recognized John Deere Turf Care in Fuquay-Varina as a 2011 Environmental Steward.
The state’s Environmental Stewardship Initiative, designed to promote and encourage superior environmental performance by North Carolina’s regulated community, began in 2002. An “Environmental Steward” is an organization that has demonstrated environmental leadership through its commitment to exemplary environmental performance beyond what is required by regulation.
The award recognizes John Deere Turf Care’s environmental performance, commitment to continued reduction of its environmental impact and demonstrated commitment to exceed compliance. The facility is one of 16 facilities in the state that have achieved this recognition.
Reasons cited by the advisory board in its recognition of the facility include:
- Integration of environmental management into core business operations through lean practices, driving environmental awareness through efficiency improvement programs;
- Its compliance history and commitment to continual improvement, including packaging reductions for both incoming parts from suppliers and outgoing finished products;
- Its commitment to continue solid waste reduction after already reducing it per ton of product by more than 90 percent;
- Its commitment to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by reducing energy usage; and
- Its water reduction efforts, particularly during its recent expansion.
For more detailed information or to apply for the program, visit the Environmental Stewardship Initiative website at ncesi.org.