GMC has unveiled its latest addition to its pickup truck line.
The company introduced the 2015 Canyon, a mid-size truck that will be available this year.
- An estimated 193 horsepower (146 kW) from a standard 2.5L I-4 and an estimated 302 horsepower (224 kW) from an available 3.6L V-6
- A payload of at least 1,450 pounds (657 kg)
- A trailering rating (when properly equipped) of at least 6,700 pounds (3,039 kg)
- A Duramax 2.8L turbodiesel engine coming in 2016 model year
The Canyon will include the OnStar 4G LTE connectivity with a built-in Wi-Fi hotspot and available driver alert features such as forward collision alert, lane departure warning and a standard rear-vision camera.
Additionally, RemoteLink Key Fob Services allow owners to lock and unlock their vehicle, flash the lights and honk the horn, and, on equipped models, even remotely start the engine using the RemoteLink smartphone app.
Three body configurations are offered: An extended cab model with a 6-foot bed, a crew cab with a 5-foot bed and a crew cab with a 6-foot bed. With the tailgate down, the six-foot bed allows 8-foot-long items to be hauled within the vehicle.
Canyon is offered in base, SLE and SLT models, in 2WD and 4WD models, and with an All-Terrain package offered on SLE models. It includes 17-inch painted aluminum wheels covered by all-terrain tires, a body-color grille surround with horizontal chrome bars and specific suspension tuning.
Additional exterior features include:
- CornerStep rear bumper design is standard
- EZ Lift-and-Lower locking tailgate that uses an internal torsion bar
- Standard two-tier loading that allows a platform to effectively split the bed into upper and lower sections
- Thirteen reconfigurable and four stationary tie-down locations throughout the bed
- Standard bed rail and tailgate protectors
- Available factory-installed spray-in bed liner
- Range of 16-, 17- and 18-inch aluminum wheels
A 2.5L I-4 is standard, and a 3.6L V-6 is available. The 2.5L four is estimated at 193 horsepower (146 kW) and 184 lb-ft of torque (253 Nm), with approximately 90 percent of the peak torque available from 2,000 rpm to 6,200 rpm. The 3.6L engine is estimated at 302 horsepower (224 kW) and 270 lb-ft of torque (366 Nm). SAE certification of the power ratings is pending.
All models are matched with a six-speed automatic transmission, including auto grade braking and a tow/haul mode. A six-speed manual transmission is also available with the 2.5L engine in base extended cab/2WD models.