Although GM isn’t ready to formally introduce the 2017 Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Denali HD models, the automaker is drumming up excitement for the trucks’ release later this year by showing off a front-end design refresh highlighted by a functional hood scoop.
The hood scoop is part of a new air intake system on the 2500 and 3500 models that GM says provides lower engine temperatures, especially in heavy duty applications such as hauling.
GM says the hood scoop provides 60 percent of the cool air pulled into the engine while an air filter housing in front of the fenders provides the remaining 40 percent.
Air from the two inputs blends and is funneled into the Duramax engine’s combustion chambers. A ram-air effect when the truck is traveling at highway speed packs even more air into the engine.
An air/water separator in the new system ensures only dry air enters the engine.
More information about these trucks will be released by GM in the coming months, and though the automaker hasn’t indicated we should expect any powertrain changes, this beefier intake system might suggest a design change to the 6.6-liter Duramax V8 currently offered on all of GM’s 2500 and 3500 trucks.